Each week of the workbook includes five devotional readings.
Table of Contents
Week 1: What is Rooted?
The 7 Rhythms of Rooted
The Story of Rooted
Kenya: Change a City. Take a Continent. Win the World
Week 2: Who is God?
Uganda: The Church in the Reign of Idi Amin
Week 3: How Does God Speak to Us?
Week 4: Where is God in the Midst of Suffering?
Haiti: Finding Hope in the Midst of Tragedy
Week 5: There is an Enemy
Week 6: How Can I Make the Most of My Life? Part 1
Democratic Republic of Congo: Ministering in Chaos
Week 7: How Can I Make the Most of My Life? Part 2
Mexico: What is Poverty?
Week 8: How Does God View Money?
Week 9: Why and How Should I Tell Others?
Sri Lanka: Cultural Theology
Week 10: Why is the Church Important?
Two of the “7 Rhythms” have been updated to better express healthy rhythms of discipleship the Church is called to practice. The “7 Rhythms” now better reflect the description of the church in Acts 2.
Freedom from Strongholds is now REPENTANCE (Acts 2:37-39). Here’s why:
- We believe we don’t actually practice freedom from strongholds – it’s a gift given by God and received by people when we repent
- Repentance encompasses confession, surrender, turning away from sin to the freedom and life Jesus offers.
- Followers of Jesus are called, specifically, to practice this rhythm throughout the Bible.
Celebration is now WORSHIP (Acts 2:26-28, 46-47). Here’s why:
- We want to call people to a broader rhythm of “worship” in all circumstances of their lives.
- Celebration is one expression of worship – you can worship with a glad and sincere heart. You can also worship in times of mourning, pain, and suffering.
- The focus of celebration can be on both people and God. While this is great as a Rooted event, we want to direct people to God-centered worship as a rhythm in daily life.